Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Me first!"

I grow tired of hearing those two words: "Me first!"

Everything is a contest between Sophie and Kylie. Examples:

  • Who finishes their meal first
  • Who drinks all their milk first
  • Who cleans their room quicker
  • Who gets to take a shower or bath first
  • Who gets to pick out a bedtime story first
  • Who gets to pick out a dvd for the van first
  • Who gets to set the table first
  • Who gets to go first on any board game we play
  • Who gets to hug Daddy first when he walks in the door after work
  • Who gets their gummy vitamins first
  • Who gets their teeth brushed first

The last one - getting their teeth brushed- has gotten so heated that I literally had to make up a teeth-brushing schedule and post it on the refrigerator. And even so, the other one still gets upset when it is not their night to go first.

I try to explain to them "Who cares who finishes their milk first?" I try to explain to them that it's not a contest. Do they listen? No. To a almost 5 year old and a 7 year old, being first is very important, I suppose.

Please tell me they will outgrow this!

No comments: